Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Browser usage - Chrome and IE

It is nearly 3 years since Chrome the web browser from Google was launched and my experience with it has always been excellent. Though IE has been predominantly used at office for intranet sites, I mainly use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for browsing the net. I especially use Firefox if I need to download anything!

I have the habit of checking the "Audience" of my sites - the country from which majority of people are browsing my articles and what OS & browsers they use. Till recently it was IE that was the leader. Around 60% of the viewers of my site used to use IE, a little around 20% used to use Firefox and the rest other browsers. Today I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that the majority of my site users are using Chrome. For a minute I couldn't believe it. The reason being that just a few weeks back it was IE which was the dominant browser and from nowhere has Chrome taken up a major chunk of IE users.

Check the below data from Google stats available for my blog.


Pageviews by Browsers
Chrome
585 (32%)
Internet Explorer
546 (30%)
Firefox
512 (28%)
Safari
88 (4%)
Opera
46 (2%)
chromeframe
7 (<1%)
Jakarta Commons-HttpClient
6 (<1%)
Mobile Safari
5 (<1%)
Java
4 (<1%)
Version
3 (<1%)


I guess Google's advertisement for Chrome has really helped in increasing the market share. Here is the advertisement for Chrome which is aired in India.


Though Chrome and Firefox are closely competing with IE, Microsoft Windows operating systems are still ruling the world!!


Pageviews by Operating Systems
Windows
1,595 (89%)
Macintosh
80 (4%)
Linux
45 (2%)
Other Unix
34 (1%)
Android
7 (<1%)
iPad
4 (<1%)
iPhone
4 (<1%)
Nokia
3 (<1%)
SAMSUNG
3 (<1%)
iPod
2 (<1%)

So I opine that in coming months Chrome shall surely overtake all the other browsers by a major percentage of users going for it. But IE or no IE, Microsoft Windows surely rules the OS world -as of now!!!

Update: Here is an article published at ZDNet - "Chrome takes bite out of IE's share" and "Chrome rises at IE's expense; iPad makes a showing".

No comments: