Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The longest wait...

I am not sure.. if waiting for a girl/boy friend is the longest wait or awaiting for the arrival of a new life is the longest one... but for me at the moment waiting for the hike letter seems to be the longest wait...

Its been more than 2 years since I have received a hike at my current office... My last pay hike was in the year 2008 and after that I haven't even heard of a rumour about me or anybody else' in the office getting a hike. For those who have lost their job, this might seem absurd, but for me this is the moment.... I will be completing 5 years at my current office.. and wouldn't want to stay longer here with the same wage... Even after putting a lot of effort in the past one and a half years, I have't been given a good rating.. and now if I don't get a good hike.. it would mean... end of the contract with the employer... I may not be the best... but I am almost better than the most found in my office... and am also sure that with a little more effort I can beat many others in the rat race to a higher salary.

For many it might seem why am I so interested in getting higher salary and also they might wonder about my current income... Let me say something if you have got such an idea... I am not the kind of a person who is after money... What I am trying to do now... is really difficult for me... it is making me go against my wishes... but at the moment I need money... and a wish/desire to earn more is not a crime according to me.... Moreover after a few years, my plan is to get out of this rat race to make money and instead get into my all time favourite career - teaching and research and development in the computer science field.

This week I shall know what would be that magical figure of my hike that would make me either stay for a little longer or move in search of greener pastures.

I am a bloody optimist.. and I wouldn't blame anybody if I don't get a good hike... after all I have been thinking of changing the employer for a long time now... and if it is possible in a way or the other... let it happen... I shall happily receive it.

With the market looking positive, getting a good hike with a jump isn't difficult... but that is only an alternative... my first love is my current employer... and if I can be satisfied with the amount of hike I might get..  I shall be happy to stay for a few more months... otherwise it will be a ta-ta goodbye to the current company and hi hello to the new one. :)

Shall soon update about the same....

No comments: